Orchard road dating dating in south east london
In 1806, the building was purchased from the Bishop of Durham for use as a township workhouse. Men were accommodated at the north of the site and women at the south, with children's playgrounds at the centre.Darlington Poor Law Union formally came into existence on 20th February 1837.Besides a variety of digital representations of the Plan itself, the site includes a graphic representation of how the Plan was physically made, detailed information on each of the elements of the Plan, and transcriptions and translations of its inscriptions.
Darlington new workhouse from the north, 1868 To the east of the main building was the long single-storey board-room building. In 1894, the British Medical Journal set up a "commission" to investigate conditions in provincial workhouses and their infirmaries.
[Up to 1834] [After 1834] [Staff] [Inmates] [Records] [Bibliography] [Links] A parliamentary report in 1777 recorded a local workhouse in operation at Darlington with accommodation for up to 100 inmates.
The Old Workhouse on the banks of the River Skerne in Lead Yard, Darlington, was previously a Bishops's Palace, originally dating from around 1164.
A series of extensive data bases include one presenting physical objects found across Europe that add to our understanding of Carolingian monasticism, one devoted to the terminology of Carolingian material culture, descriptions of all known Carolingian religious edifices, and an extensive bibliography on both the Plan itself and Carolingian monastic culture generally.
All these databases are searchable individually and collectively.